If you invest a lot of money in a great pair of hair shears, ot’s obvious you will want to take care of them so that they can last longer, right? You need to protect your investment by cleaning your shears and giving them a little love now and again so that they can remain sharp and functional. Hair oil and hair products can accumulate in the pivot screw and cause corrosion in the blades, so give them a wipe to prevent damage and maintain each cut smooth. Here’s how you do it:
• First of all, clean between the blades and around the pivot screw using a toothpick or toothbrush. Don’t use to much pressure, just enough to get rid of any residue and hair that builds up after each use.
• Next, rinse the shears under warm or cold water to get rid of the residue and flakes of hardened product unsettled by the toothpick or toothbrush.
• Wipe the shears dry carefully with a soft and clean cloth or paper towel.
• Lubricate the blades, paying special attention to the area around the pivot screw which needs it the most. Add a small drop of oil at least once a week to keep the shears working smoothly. This also helps prevent rusting. A silicone lubricant is recommended instead of oil because small hairs won’t stick to it as much as they do to oil. If you received a lubricant or oil with the purchase of your hair shears, then use that.
• Dry the shears with a clean cloth and store away in a safe place to keep them safe from potential damage.
If you take regular care of your hair shears then you will notice how durable they will be and how great they will perform cut after cut.