Do you suffer constantly from split ends, frizz and dryness? Do you know why? There are lots of different factors that can cause hair damage since we expose our locks every day. How can we damage hair? By shampooing, heat styling, coloring, not eating right, sun exposure, exposing hair to humidity and brushing or combing.
Inside the hair shaft, the damage affects the cuticle first, and as it is damaged it pulls away from the other layers, causing the shafts to break easily. Since the cuticle doesn’t lie flat, this creates hiding places for water making your hair harder to dry, plus light won’t be reflected making you lose shine. Additionally, the keratin along the hair shaft that is held together by different kinds of bonds, starts to come apart when these bonds break.
Now, how to prevent this kind of damage? Here are some tips to help your hair stay healthy and damage-free:
- Try to avoid heat styling tools like hair dryers, curling irons and flat irons. If it’s absolutely necessary for you to use one of these heat tools then do so on the lowest setting (if the heat tool you own has adjustable settings) and use them for the least time possible. Remember you can leave your hair to air dry if you’re going to stay home all day.
- On wet hair, use wide tooth combs only, because wet hair is much more vulnerable and can be stretched or broken.
- Avoid perms and coloring especially if your hair tends to be damaged easily.
- Stay away from chemicals like chlorine and keep your hair safe from salt water.
- If you regularly expose yourself to the sun, remember to use UV protection
- Get your hair trimmed regularly to get rid of split ends to prevent them from splitting up further up the hair shaft
- Use thermal protectants like Pro Naturals Moroccan Oil to keep your locks safe from the heat of styling tools.