Here are some more tips on how to care for your color treated hair:
• Get your hair trimmed every 4 to 6 weeks to get rid of split ends and stimulate growth. THis will make your locks more manageable.
• Use specially formulated shampoos and hair products designed for color treated hair. If you wash your hair daily, shampoo once and massage it in gently. Try not to wash too often to conserve color. When conditioning, concentrate on the ends more. Applying a deep conditioner once a month is also a good idea.
• Untangle your locks with a wide tooth comb to minimize breakages, especially when your hair is wet.
• Avoid heat styling tools like blow dryers, straighteners and curling irons. If you must use one of these tools, use thermal protectants and make sure the tool uses good quality heating materials.
• Styling aids like mousse, gel or spray can dull the natural shine of your hair, so try not to use them too often.
• Avoid chlorine, as it can affect the color in your hair. If you do come into contact with this chemical, make sure to wash it out as quick as possible.
• Stay out of the sun when possible to avoid excessive exposure as it can affect the color.
• Color your entire head no more than twice a year to prevent damage.