If you want to transform limp hair into beautiful casual curls, or simply spruce up your naturally wavy or curly hair by defining the style, you can do so! With a high quality curling iron, some spare time and the motivation to look fabulous, you can instantly achieve flowing, loose waves and curls by simply following these steps:
1. Use a gentle shampoo on your hair and a light conditioner on the ends to keep them hydrated. Towel dry your hair to get rid of excess moisture and blow dry using a low setting until your hair is only slightly damp. If you have naturally curl hair, use the blow dryer and a round brush to straighten it. Untangle with a comb.
2. Apply a volumizing mousse to your hair but not too much because it will weigh down on your locks.
3. Turn on the curling iron. For best results, choose a curling iron with a large barrel to create loose curls and waves. When the temperature is high enough, start curling your locks.
4. With a comb, make a parting in the middle or towards one side (which works very well if your hair is flat) then separate a 1 or 2 inch section of hair. Start about 3 inches from your scalp when curling, using your opposite hand to wind your hair around the barrel.
5. Hold the curling iron in a vertical position away from your face and keep it there for around 10 to 15 seconds. Release the curl and repeat this step with other 1 to 2 inch sections of your hair until it is all curled.
6. Let your hair cool to allow the curls to set, then use your fingers to gentle break them up. Try not to handle them too much as this will cause frizz. Finish off with some long-lasting hold hairspray and don’t forget to not touch your hair too much! You want the curls to be smooth and defined for as long as possible.
For a better idea of how to create these curls, have a look at this simple video tutorial: